Saturday, February 14, 2009

20/20 Appalachian poor

I'm watching a 20/20 I recorded--Diane Sawyer in Appalachia.  I almost want to cry.  I'm not sure who first used the term "crushing poverty" but it is apt.  I'm thinking of a child I know who lived in similar condiditons right here in this middle class school district.  I try to remember that every day when I look at my class--what were their mornings like?   Some of them were nothing resembling mine or my children's mornings with food choices, warm beds, clean clothes.  I keep feeling that I need to do something bigger with the rest of my teaching career--something related to helping under privileged children.  This country offers free education, but it is far, far from equal.  So many years after reading Jonathan Kozol--why is it still this way?  Well, I'm off to 20/20 's website to see how I can help.

No comments: